7.16.2013

The Claw.


Growing up my Mom was a real stickler when it came to "not buying crap from claw machines." That rule applied to carnival games as well, just in case you were wondering. Ultimately paying $15 for a $2.50 toy/goldfish/piece of candy just wasn't something we did the Albrecht house.

Needless to say, I've carried that same credo with me into both adulthood as well as parenthood. For the most part it has served me well (I mean seriously, I could've ended up like this guy. Seriously read that- it will make you feel better about basically everything you've ever done.)

But in the interest of trying new things, I didn't protest too much when Ruby pulled a dollar out of her purse to give to a claw machine at the grocery store today. "Well it is your money..." I stated,  "And you can do what you want with it. If that's really what you want to do with your dollar, that's your choice. I mean if you really think you can win that Despicable Me doll go ahead. But don't be upset when you don't." My words were technically brimming with encouragement, but not really because they were delivered in a somewhat disapproving and incredulous tone.

She definitely didn't win it, just in case you were wondering. But the important thing here is I let her try to win a Despicable Me doll from a claw machine in a grocery store. There is no way I would've let something like that fly 5 days ago. Carpe Diem y'all.

2 comments:

Whitney Shepard said...

his poor wife.

Annika Louisiana said...

sorry the "day of Annie" as Ru called it she won in the claw game...and now she thinks she can win every time...i didnt encourage the playing of the game either...i think its in our dna to not play!